About Thyronorm 125mcg Tablet 120’s
Thyronorm 125mcg Tablet 120’s is a synthetic thyroid hormone that works by replacing the thyroid hormone in the body when the natural production of thyroid hormones is not sufficient to meet the needs of the body. Thyronorm 125mcg Tablet 120’s is primarily taken for treatment of hypothyroidism or low secretion of thyroid hormone. It comprises thyroxine which is a synthetic thyroid hormone that is chemically similar to thyroxine produced by our thyroid gland. Thyroxine helps to replace missing thyroid hormone and/or to relieve stress on the thyroid gland.
Hypothyroidism is a chronic condition in which our thyroid gland (located below the throat in the neck) is not able to produce enough thyroid hormone. Thyroid hormones are composed of tri-iodothyronine (T3) and thyroxine (T4) which controls the body’s metabolism. In the condition of underactive thyroid body’s metabolism slows down and the person feels less energetic. Other symptoms include easy fatiguability, constipation, weight gain, feeling cold even in warm weathers, dry skin or too much or too fewer menses (in women) or even low mood. Treatment of hypothyroid is essential to restore the normal body metabolism (basal metabolic rate).
If you are experiencing any of the above symptoms, your doctor will advise you to undertake a blood test called ‘thyroid function test’ which checks three hormones related to thyroid – TSH, T3, T4. High TSH and low T3/T4 indicates that your thyroid gland is not functioning normally. The dose of Thyronorm 125mcg Tablet 120’s is adjusted by your doctor on the basis of your body weight and thyroid function test report. It may take some weeks for the medicine to fully show its effects. Regular monitoring of thyroid function is advised to ensure that you receive the optimum dose of Thyronorm 125mcg Tablet 120’s.
Take Thyronorm 125mcg Tablet 120’s as prescribed by your doctor. Thyronorm 125mcg Tablet 120’s usually does not have major side effects when taken regularly in the prescribed dosage but, overdosage may cause headache, nervousness, sleeplessness, irritability, diarrhoea, muscle spasm, weight loss, feeling hot even in cool environments, menstrual irregularities (in women), and skin rash. If you missed a dose do not take a double dose as it may produce serious side effects.
Your doctor may prescribe calcium or vitamin D supplements alongside Thyronorm 125mcg Tablet 120’s for your bone health. Thyronorm 125mcg Tablet 120’s should not be used for the purpose of weight loss alone. People affected with diabetes taking Thyronorm 125mcg Tablet 120’s may have altered blood glucose control that may result in increased antidiabetic agents or insulin requirements. Hence, it is recommended that people with diabetes should contact a doctor and carefully monitor their glucose level after starting, changing, or discontinuing thyroid hormone therapy.
Uses of Thyronorm 125mcg Tablet 120’s
Hypothyroidism (underactive thyroid)
Thyronorm 125mcg Tablet 120’s controls an underactive thyroid gland (hypothyroidism) and minimizes symptoms of low thyroid hormones like unknown weight gain, fatigue, sensitivity to the cold and many more. Thus, it helps in replacing the body’s own natural thyroid hormone essential for maintaining both mental and physical health. However, Thyronorm 125mcg Tablet 120’s should not be used for the treatment of weight loss or obesity.
Directions for Use
Side Effects of Thyronorm 125mcg Tablet 120’s
Like all medicines, Thyronorm 125mcg Tablet 120’s can cause side effects, although not everybody gets them. Side effects are usually due to inappropriate dosage or irregular consumption. Some people may experience irregular heartbeat (palpitations), muscle spasm, headache, nervousness, irritability, sleeplessness, tremors, muscle weakness, increased appetite, weight loss, diarrhoea, heat intolerance, menstrual irregularities, and skin rash. If taken in the right dosage as prescribed by your doctor, these unpleasant side effects are usually not seen. However, in case these symptoms become bothersome, speak with your doctor.
In-Depth Precautions and Warning
Foods like soybean flour, cottonseed meal, cabbage, cauliflower, walnuts, dietary fibre, calcium, and calcium-fortified juices may affect the working of Thyronorm 125mcg Tablet 120’s. Hence, avoid the intake of these foods within several hours of dosing if possible. Thyronorm 125mcg Tablet 120’s should not be administered to patients with acute myocardial infarction and high blood pressure patients. Close clinical monitoring of heart function is recommended before taking Thyronorm 125mcg Tablet 120’s. Long term use of Thyronorm 125mcg Tablet 120’s may affect your bone health leading to osteoporosis increasing the risk of bone fractures. Hence, your doctor may prescribe calcium or vitamin D supplements alongside Thyronorm 125mcg Tablet 120’s for your bone health. Thyronorm 125mcg Tablet 120’s should not be used for the purpose of weight loss alone. People affected with diabetes taking Thyronorm 125mcg Tablet 120’s may have altered blood glucose control that may result in increased antidiabetic agents or insulin requirements. Thyronorm 125mcg Tablet 120’s should is not recommended for the treatment of thyroid cancer and weight reduction.
Drug-Drug Interaction: Medicines like appetite suppressant (phentermine), acidity medicine (esomeprazole), anti-diabetic drug (metformin), calcium/vitamin D, and neuro-related medicine (amphetamine/dextroamphetamine), interact with Thyronorm 125mcg Tablet 120’s. So, if you are taking these medicines make sure you contact your doctor before taking Thyronorm 125mcg Tablet 120’s.
Drug-Food Interaction: If you are taking any homoeopathic, ayurvedic, Unani or any OTC items let your doctor know about this. These medicines may interact with Thyronorm 125mcg Tablet 120’s and affect its working. Besides this, absorption of Thyronorm 125mcg Tablet 120’s may be decreased by foods like soybean flour, cottonseed meal, walnuts, dietary fibre, calcium, and calcium-fortified juices. So, try to avoid these foods if possible.
Drug-Disease Interaction: Thyroid hormones increase the workload of the heart and oxygen consumption of the body. Hence, a Thyronorm 125mcg Tablet 120’s should be taken with caution in the heart patients (cardiovascular disorders) like high blood pressure, chest pain (angina), and coronary artery disease. You should have regular monitoring of heart function. If chest pain occurs frequently contact the doctor so that doctor may reduce the dosage.
You are recommended not to consume alcohol along with Thyronorm 125mcg Tablet 120’s to avoid unpleasant side-effects.
Only consume Thyronorm 125mcg Tablet 120’s, if you are prescribed by a doctor. However, the need for Thyroxine may increase during pregnancy due to increased blood levels of oestrogen (female sex hormone) hence, monitoring of thyroid function should be done regularly both during and after pregnancy. In this case, the thyroid hormone dose can be adjusted by your doctor.
Even during high dose thyroxine therapy, the amount of Thyronorm 125mcg Tablet 120’s passing into the breast milk during lactation is very low and therefore harmless. However, if you have any doubt consult a doctor.
Thyronorm 125mcg Tablet 120’s does not interfere with your ability to drive.
Thyronorm 125mcg Tablet 120’s does not have any reported interaction hence, in case you experience any difficulty discuss with your doctor.
Thyronorm 125mcg Tablet 120’s can be taken in the prescribed dose as it does not affects the kidney. However patient with adrenal gland complication or problem should consult a doctor before its intake.
Diet & Lifestyle Advise
- Eating the right nutrients and taking a regular dose of your prescribed medications may help reduce your symptoms and improve your thyroid function. Iodine, zinc, and selenium are beneficial for people with hypothyroidism. However, it’s best to avoid iodine and selenium supplements unless your doctor advises you to take them.
- In hypothyroidism usually, there is a loss of calcium (hypocalcemia) and Vitamin D in our body. In such a case, people affected with hypothyroidism should opt for calcium-enriched foods.
- People with hypothyroidism usually have a slower metabolism and eating more protein may help boost your metabolism.
- Daily yoga and aerobics exercises can help in boosting metabolism.
- People with hypothyroidism should prefer the intake of more vegetables, fruits, and lean meats. These foods are low in calories and may help prevent weight gain.
- Avoid taking Goitrogens (agents which interfere with the normal function of the thyroid gland) which generally includes soy foods (tofu), cabbage, broccoli, kale, cauliflower, spinach, sweet potatoes, cassava, peaches, strawberries, millet, pine nuts, peanuts, etc.
- Doses beyond the range of may produce serious or even life-threatening manifestations of toxicity. Thus, if you forget to take Thyronorm 125mcg Tablet 120’s anytime, take the medicine as soon as you remember to take it. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, you make avoid the skipped dose and continue with your regular regime as advised by your doctor.
- Thyronorm 125mcg Tablet 120’s should not be used for the treatment of obesity or for weight loss.
- Patients with adrenaline or pituitary gland problem, heart diseases, diabetes, clotting disorders should not take Thyronorm 125mcg Tablet 120’s without consulting a doctor as the dose may need to be adjusted.
- Diabetes patients taking Thyronorm 125mcg Tablet 120’s should contact the doctor before starting this medicine as it may worsen glycaemic control and may result in increased antidiabetic pills or insulin therapy.
- Regular intake of Thyronorm 125mcg Tablet 120’s may decrease bone mineral density, particularly in post-menopausal women. Hence, consult your doctor who might prescribe you the lowest dose possible for your bone health.
- If you are taking Thyronorm 125mcg Tablet 120’s prior to any surgery let your doctor know about this.
- Thyroid function tests are usually done on an empty stomach after overnight (6-8 hrs) fasting.